Skip to main content

Review: I Know Where You Live

I Know Where You Live I Know Where You Live by Pat Young
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A fast, thrilling read!

I just finished I Know Where You Live by Pat Young and I enjoyed this book so much! This book is a very plot-driven, quick read. Once I started, I had a hard time putting the book down because there truly weren't any slow points where I was waiting for the story to move forward. The pace of this story is quick and engaging.

Also, I found out after I started this book that it actually involves a partial follow-on to a story told in a previous book. I worried that since I didn't read the first book, I may not understand some of the plot points--but that wasn't the case at all! This book really isn't a sequel. It stands completely on its own as a novel, and the events from the other book--though related--aren't really the point of this book.

Plot Teaser (Spoiler Free)

This novel tells the story of Penny and her husband Seth. They live in Texas, but decide to make the move to France for a great career opportunity for Seth. Penny thinks the move will be good for their two kids and for Seth. But Penny also has ulterior motives for wanting the move--motives that she hasn't told her family about.

Penny believes she is being watched, and she thinks she knows why...

As Penny, Seth, and their two young children are waiting to fly to France, they meet a young woman named Sophie. Sophie instantly charms the little Gates family. She is traveling to France to seek out work as an Au Pair, and to hopefully find her father who left when she was quite young. Sophie is young, fun, and great with kids. She is also fluent in French--something the Gates family is not. As the family and Sophie grow closer, hiring Sophie as their Au Pair seems like a dream come true.

But then one day, while Sophie is caring for the younger child, Ethan, he goes missing...

It is every parent's worst nightmare--living in a foreign country, not speaking the language, and unable to find their child. Sophie says she left him for just a quick moment, and in that time he vanished. The Gates go to the police, who encourage them to use the media to spread the word. Someone must have seen Ethan! But the Gates are hesitant. They don't want to go to the media. You see, the Gates are not who they say they are, and doing what they need to do to find their child may mean revealing their true selves to the world.

The Gates are hiding their identity, but who else is hiding something?

Reflection

I highly recommend this book, and plan to put it on a list of novels that I recommend to post-graduate readers. The setting in France (and a few other places that you'll see when you get into the story) are fun to read about. The plot moves quickly. Pat Young also uses the tool of alternating perspectives. We see things from Penny's point of view, Sophie's point of view, and a mysterious third person's point of view. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a mystery and the thrill of a fast-paced, secret-driven novel.

There were times when both Sophie and Penny had these incredible moments of reflection and introspection. At first I enjoyed the plot immensely, but didn't necessarily feel a strong connection with any characters. However, as the story progresses, the way the women in this novel have a raw moment of clarity on their lives, or their actions--these really drew me in. By the end, I truly felt for these characters and had a range of emotions about their story progressions.

I want to express my gratitude to NetGalley, Pat Young, and Bloodhound Books for a copy of this novel in exchange for a fair and honest review.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: When Never Comes

When Never Comes by Barbara Davis My rating: 4 of 5 stars Sometimes learning to let yourself be happy is the hardest lesson of all… Though the premise of this book may sounds like it veers towards thriller, it is anything but that—in a good way! Davis’s When Never Comes is a beautiful story of resilience, finding yourself, and learning to be open to happiness. It’s a story about a woman who ran away or hid her entire life, until she was forced out of hiding. This book is an incredible addition to Women’s Fiction in 2018. I think many readers will find this story to be a starting point to reflect on their own lives and identify the ghosts we all have following us around. Christine lives an enviable life… Married to handsome, charismatic, best-selling author Stephen Ludlow, book-editor Christine has the perfect marriage. They live in the very house one of Stephen’s books was filmed in for the movie-adaptation. They have no children (by choice), and Christine

Review: Don't Believe It

Don't Believe It by Charlie Donlea My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars The last 40% of this book is mind-blowing—I had to go back and reread passages to make sure I read what I thought I did!!! This is my first book by Charlie Donlea, and what a fantastic introduction to this author!!! This book already drew me in with the premise, but the writing and the way the story was executed kept me engaged until the very last page. This is a book that is fueled by the plot. Some thrillers take place mostly in the minds of the characters, but this book is action driven. There are no slow points—every single chapter is moving you towards the shocking conclusion. You’ll want to pay attention, because a LOT happens in this book! 10 years ago Grace Sebold was convicted of murdering her boyfriend… Grace’s life was on the right track. Grace recently found out she was accepted in the medical residency she wanted in NYC with her boyfriend Julian, who is unbeknownst to her about to

Review: The Girl I Used to Be

The Girl I Used to Be by Mary Torjussen My rating: 5 of 5 stars A wonderful, psychological thriller that will make you wonder what you would do if this happened to you!!! I am a big fan of Mary Torjussen’s last book Gone Without a Trace . As a psychologist, I always find books that deal with the character’s mindset effectively to be so compelling, and this is an area Mary really excels in as an author. This book was one I read in two days (which, for someone who works full-time and has a dissertation to write is quite an endorsement). The steady building of suspense in this book had the reader feeling slightly off-kilter along with the protagonist—and that is what made it so hard to put down! I found myself skipping my lunch break to read a bit more, and turning down plans for drinks after work because I just had to know what would happen next! Plot Gemma owns her own real estate business and loves her career. She has a wonderful husband and a beautiful son, but