Skip to main content

Review: The Husband's Secret

The Husband's Secret The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A solid offering from Liane Moriarty, but slow in its pacing.

Its been about a week since I finished this book and it has taken me this long to think about how to review it. I had a hard time rating this one, because it was simultaneously well-written and sort of predictable. Liane Moriarty is a fantastic writer. I love how in depth into her characters' thoughts she goes. Her books are almost always driven more by the inner monologues of the characters than the dialogue and interactions with others.

Plot Teaser
 
The book tells the stories of three women: Cecelia, Rachel, and Tess. Cecelia is a total super-mom. She runs a wildly successful tupperware business and she has three lovely daughters and a handsome, doting husband. Rachel is a bit of a lost soul. She lost her daughter when she was only a teenager, lost her husband recently before the book begins, and is about to lose her grandson (in a different way) as her son and his family plan to relocate to the US. Tess is on the brink of a total shift to her entire family and friends that she could never see coming.

As may be expected, the stories and lives of these seemingly separate women begin to intertwine into a tight web as the novel progresses. The main catalyst of the book is a letter Cecelia finds by accident, written by her husband, and to be opened in the event of his death. Except her husband is very-much alive and well.

Would you open the letter?

Reflection
 
I think most people would, but its an interesting question. There's a certain luxury in not knowing something. Once you know it, you can't go back. This is the dilemma facing Cecelia. Once she knows the letter exists, she has to either live with the curiosity, or live with the knowledge of whatever the letter contains.

I did feel that there wasn't much suspense to this novel. I cared about the characters and their stories, but all of the reveals seem to happen by mid-way through the novel. The epilogue is beautiful, and I thought about it for many days afterwards. I recommend this book to fans of character-driven novels.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: When Never Comes

When Never Comes by Barbara Davis My rating: 4 of 5 stars Sometimes learning to let yourself be happy is the hardest lesson of all… Though the premise of this book may sounds like it veers towards thriller, it is anything but that—in a good way! Davis’s When Never Comes is a beautiful story of resilience, finding yourself, and learning to be open to happiness. It’s a story about a woman who ran away or hid her entire life, until she was forced out of hiding. This book is an incredible addition to Women’s Fiction in 2018. I think many readers will find this story to be a starting point to reflect on their own lives and identify the ghosts we all have following us around. Christine lives an enviable life… Married to handsome, charismatic, best-selling author Stephen Ludlow, book-editor Christine has the perfect marriage. They live in the very house one of Stephen’s books was filmed in for the movie-adaptation. They have no children (by choice), and Christine

Review: Don't Believe It

Don't Believe It by Charlie Donlea My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars The last 40% of this book is mind-blowing—I had to go back and reread passages to make sure I read what I thought I did!!! This is my first book by Charlie Donlea, and what a fantastic introduction to this author!!! This book already drew me in with the premise, but the writing and the way the story was executed kept me engaged until the very last page. This is a book that is fueled by the plot. Some thrillers take place mostly in the minds of the characters, but this book is action driven. There are no slow points—every single chapter is moving you towards the shocking conclusion. You’ll want to pay attention, because a LOT happens in this book! 10 years ago Grace Sebold was convicted of murdering her boyfriend… Grace’s life was on the right track. Grace recently found out she was accepted in the medical residency she wanted in NYC with her boyfriend Julian, who is unbeknownst to her about to

Review: The Girl I Used to Be

The Girl I Used to Be by Mary Torjussen My rating: 5 of 5 stars A wonderful, psychological thriller that will make you wonder what you would do if this happened to you!!! I am a big fan of Mary Torjussen’s last book Gone Without a Trace . As a psychologist, I always find books that deal with the character’s mindset effectively to be so compelling, and this is an area Mary really excels in as an author. This book was one I read in two days (which, for someone who works full-time and has a dissertation to write is quite an endorsement). The steady building of suspense in this book had the reader feeling slightly off-kilter along with the protagonist—and that is what made it so hard to put down! I found myself skipping my lunch break to read a bit more, and turning down plans for drinks after work because I just had to know what would happen next! Plot Gemma owns her own real estate business and loves her career. She has a wonderful husband and a beautiful son, but